Angel Beats! {Revisited}

Angel Beats! {Revisited}

A well off series with a lot of hype around its ending. with funny characters and some sad scenes I found myself kind of bored.
Angel Beats! Promotional Poster




I understand the hype around this series, but really it ruined the series for me. Yes, episodes 9 and 12 are sad, but some plot points ruined this series for me.

Story - 5

The only reason the story gets a five is due to the dark monsters that appeared nearing the end of the series. these monsters ruined the series for me, what I expected from this series was immediately shattered when they appeared. With the ending of episode 9, I was estatic with the way that this show was turning out. If they had kept with this pace and focused on helping each person individually, I would gladly give the story a 8.

Other problems I have with the series was the amount of comedy, there is a need for comedy in a show like this. However, there is too much and I couldnt find myself attached to most of the main characters. Another problem I had was the Universe, I could not for the life of me get interested in the universe. For the entire series I found myself bored and uninterested due to my disbelief of the universe.

Art - 7

Yes, for a series at this age it looks great. I enjoyed most of the animation across the show, including most action scenes. However, there were a few CGI moments that diverted me away from the show and lead to me losing interest.

Music - 6

I enjoyed the music. The OP and ED are very confident and well done, but the background music was bland and mostly uninteresting. However, the insert song at the end of episode 9 is a masterpiece, something I love. That song surprised me when I first heard it and I always find myself happy when I hear it.

Characters - 4

Yet another dissapointment for me. most of the characters are ordinary and don't feel very special. There feels like there is no conseqeunce for anything bad that happens to these characters, as such I found myself not caring for the characters at the end of the series.

Otonashi is the character we mainly follow throughout the series and my god, talk about a wooden plank. He is very hard for me to like as a character, he has such little substance to him. I just didn't care for him throughout the entire series.

Yuri is the leader and she's a bit better than Otonashi, she has a personality thats loud-spoken and cheary. Which is fine, but I would have loved this series to flesh her story a bit more.

Tachibana is the opponent for most of the series and she's O.K. That's really all I can say about her, she's a female version of Otonashi and she barely changes throughout the series. 

Here we reach the characters that actually mean something to me. Hideki is Otonashi's friend and he is 10 if not 100 times better than Otonashi as a protagonist. He provides comedy and has some very touching moments at the end of the series. I truly enjoy him and Yui.

Now, here is the peak of the characters. Yui, a cutsey character that acts as comedic relief as well throughout the series. However, her character ark is so unbelievably well written it made me tear up at the end of episode 9. She is the direction I wished the rest of the series followed. All I can say is that she is the best example of this series and no other character comes even close to touching her.

The supporting cast isn't much better, being more focused on comedic relief. I felt nothing for most of these characters (aside from T.K). 

Overall - 5

I really wasn't impressed with this series. There were to many problems with the series for me to enjoy it, but I will give it props for the things it did right. I wouldn't reccomend it, but if you want to watch it, stop at episode 9.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Death Parade

The Beginning of the Blog

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai